MJSA Expo NY Announces Seminars, Workshops for 2014
New this year: MJSA Journal LIVE:
Two days of demos, 1-on-1 consultations, and more
MJSA, the trade association dedicated to professional excellence in jewelry making and design, announced its full slate of speakers for MJSA Expo New York, its flagship trade show at Hilton New York from March 9-11, 2014. Along with traditional seminars in its presentation area, the association has also planned a new, MJSA Journal LIVE—A two-day series of demonstrations, one-on-one consultations, and presentations, by some of the most distinguished industry business leaders, authors, and master jewelers who have appeared in the pages of MJSA’s flagship publication.
“If you ever read MJSA Journal and wished you could sit with its expert contributors over a long coffee, MJSA Journal LIVE will meet that wish, and more,” says MJSA CEO and President David W. Cochran. The series will feature insights into common (and uncommon) tools and techniques, from the newest low-cost additive manufacturing systems to innovative stone-setting methods to business, inventory, and marketing management made easy.
Bringing the pages of the magazine to the Expo show floor, MJSA Journal LIVE features:
* Joel McFadden of Joel McFadden Designs, who will conduct a three-part series of Jewelry Making 101 demonstrations on stone setting, sponsored by the MJSA Education Foundation with bench and tool sponsor, Stuller, Inc.
* Jewelry makers and designers Elizabeth Garvin and Gary Dawson will also coach attendees on bench business tips and repairing/repurposing jewelry.
* Business coaches Andrea Hill of StrategyWerx, consultant Marlene Richey, Ann Arnold of Arnold Advisory Group LLC, Matthew Perosi of JewelerWebsites.com, Eugene Brill of Jewelry.com, and Cindy Edelstein of Jeweler’s Resource Bureau, will speak one-on-one concerning basic business operations issues, as well as online marketing, photography and merchandising a designer line.
* CAD/CAM experts Steve Adler of A3DM, Charlie Herner of Green Lake Jewelry Works, and Zsombor Antal of Best Cast.
* Casting experts J. Tyler Teague of JETT Research, Teresa Fryé of Techform, Linus Drogs of Au Enterprises; and Ted Doudak of Riva Precision Manufacturing.
On Monday in MJSA Expo’s Presentation Area, Swarovski will also sponsor a full-day program of hands-on workshops, focusing on techniques for creating crystal jewelry and accessories. They feature Nick Regine, star of the "Professor of Crystal" educational series running on YouTube and in MJSA Journal.
MJSA’s Seminar Series, which takes places on Sunday, March 9, includes:
* Fashion Trends 2014 and Beyond. Barbara Raleigh of International Design Source Ltd., a popular speaker making a return appearance, will show fashion trends influencing jewelry for 2014 and 2015, in a lively, visual presentation.
* "Made in USA” Made Simple will explain the laws and regulations controlling "Made in USA" statements, and also present MJSA’s submission to the FTC requesting changes in the "Made in USA" rules. Speakers include: Mark Hanna of Richline Group; Peggy Jo Donahue of MJSA; and Suzan Flamm of Jewelers Vigilance Committee.
* Fair Trade & Ethical Practices: What You Need to Know. A panel of speakers will discuss the adoption of responsible business practices by companies throughout jewelry supply chain, and the surge of interest in fairly mined and fairly traded gems and metals. This panel will include panelists David Bouffard of Signet Jewelers Ltd., Torry Hoover of Hoover & Strong; Anna Bario of Bario-Neal; and Suzan Flamm of the Jewelers Vigilance Committee.
For more information about MJSA Expo New York, and for free online registration, click here:
ABOUT MJSA EXPO NEW YORK
Held every March at the Hilton New York, MJSA Expo New York is the show dedicated to professional excellence in jewelry making and design. It features the latest bench tools, laser welders, casting machines, alloys, CAD/CAM systems, gemstones and beads, component parts, stamping equipment, jewelry making subcontractors, and business services.