Google+ The Daily Jewel: GIA Researchers in Malawi Documenting Ruby & Sapphire Mines

Pages

Saturday, November 29, 2014

GIA Researchers in Malawi Documenting Ruby & Sapphire Mines

Unearthing Ruby and Sapphire in Malawi
GIA researchers explore one of the oldest and least documented mines in Africa

Abdul Mahomed, majority owner of the 
Chimwadzulu mine, with rubies in their 
amphibolite matrix. Photo by Vincent 
Pardieu; © GIA.

In 1958, a ruby and sapphire deposit was discovered about 145 kilometers south of Malawi’s capital of Lilongwe on Chimwadzulu Hill. Although this is one of the oldest known gemstone deposits on the African continent, very little has been published about its production in recent years. In late September, GIA Field Gemologist Vincent Pardieu, videographer Didier Gruel and expedition guest Stanislas Detroyat journeyed to Malawi to collect samples for GIA research activities, and to document and share their findings from the deposit.

During the expedition, the team learned that rubies from the Chimwadzulu deposit are associated with amphibole, mica and feldspar. “We discovered that this deposit shares a very similar metasomatic type geological environment with the Montepuez ruby deposit located in nearby in Mozambique, as well as Winza, Tanzania and Didy, Madagascar,” said Pardieu. While the Chimwadzulu deposit is known for its rubies and orange sapphires, it produces mostly pale green, blue and yellow sapphires.

In 2008, Nyala Mines Ltd. began to work the deposit, while Colombia Gem House Inc. took charge of cutting, marketing and selling of the stones. In 2013, Malawian national Abdul Mahomed acquired of 80% of the mining operation. According to Mahomed, the acquisition process is expected to be completed soon and the Malawi government and a local consortium will hold the remaining 20%. Since then, the mining operation has been renovated and the areas originally worked in 1958 have been further explored. Production is expected to begin in 2015. In an effort to support the local community, Columbia Gem House has set up the Dzonze District Development Fund and is supporting two villages near the mine through a school at Kandoma and a hospital in Katsekera.

Rubies from Chimwadzulu resemble those mined in Montepuez, Mozambique. 
Photo by Vincent Pardieu; © GIA.

In keeping with its mission to ensure the public trust in gems and jewelry, GIA regularly conducts research field trips to important gem and jewelry centers around the globe, incorporating findings into research practices and education programs and providing information to the trade and public. GIA appreciates the access and information provided during these visits; however, they should not be taken as or used as a commercial endorsement. Findings from the Malawi field trip will be featured in an upcoming issue of G&G, as well as in field reports and video documentaries on www.gia.edu.    

Vincent Pardieu, GIA’s senior manager of field gemology, discusses rubies with
Abdul Mahomed, the owner of the Chimwadzulu mine.
Photo by Stanislas Detroyat; © GIA.

About GIA
An independent nonprofit organization, GIA (Gemological Institute of America), established in 1931, is recognized as the world’s foremost authority in gemology. GIA invented the famous 4Cs of Color, Cut, Clarity and Carat Weight in the early 1950s and in 1953, created the International Diamond Grading System™ which, today, is recognized by virtually every professional jeweler in the world.

Through research, education, gemological laboratory services, and instrument development, the Institute is dedicated to ensuring the public trust in gems and jewelry by upholding the highest standards of integrity, academics, science, and professionalism. Visit www.gia.edu
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis